Saturday, February 27, 2010

Nanny's Mixing Bowl

I am so thankful that my Nanny is having a lot of good days lately. She has been very alert and talkative the last few weeks. Did I tell you that she's in a nursing home? My parents are having to sell her house since her insurance will be running out soon.

I went to her house today to gather some of her things - things I wanted that reminded me of her. There were so many things that I wanted to hold on to, but I just didn't have a place to store it all.

I was so grateful to get my Nanny's china, secretary desk, silver and sewing things along with lots of other odds and ends. The thing that I wanted the most - the thing that I will treasure the most is her wooden mixing bowl. Nothing fancy or expensive. Just something that holds one of my favorite memories of her. She made the best biscuits in that bowl. Just a sweet simple treasure that I will hold dear. To me, it is more precious than gold.



My heart is heavy. I cried all the way home. The house will soon belong to someone different. It is heartrending, but a least I still have my Nanny. I'll cherish our time together for however long God grants it. My memories of how spunky, how generous and how loving she was will always stay with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment