Friday, February 5, 2010

The Bible and ADD

(Blessing # 41) I was blessed with being diagnosed with ADD about 11 years ago. (I may have had it during childhood, but didn't know enough to get it checked out.) You may ask, 'why do I say blessed?' Well, we know the down side of ADD {Side note: my ADD is like you're in a room with 20 people hearing everyone's conversations and knowing what they are saying all at the same time. My brain is on overload.}, but I choose to look at the up side of it.

Great things about ADD
  1. Lots of energy
  2. Can do several things at one time
  3. Need less sleep
  4. Spontaneous
  5. Attention to detail
  6. Can think of different and new ways to do things
  7. Happy and enthusiastic
  8. Imaginative, creative
I was taking Adderall to help. After doing research on this drug, I found out that it was basically "speed". If you have ADD, it does the reverse- it slows your brain down. If you don't, then you are flying high. When I was expecting my first son, I knew that I wasn't going to take it during my pregnancy. I also knew that I couldn't work very well without using something to help me.

I have no medical degree, but I do have a little bit of horse sense. If sugar and carbs give you energy & energy for the brain, then maybe to much of it causes ADD. I started researching on natural sites. There was a lot of evidence stating that diet does cause ADD.

I changed my diet. I was slowly seeing the symptoms of ADD slowly decreasing. When I go for long periods of time, not eating healthy, I notice that the symptoms increase. Medical doctors have told me that diet is not the cause. I know my body better than anyone- despite what they say. This may not be the case for everyone, but for me, ADD is caused by my diet.



The reason I am talking about ADD is because of my quiet time. Over the years, reading my Bible has been challanging for me. With my brain going in 90 different directions at one time, (okay, maybe only thinking of 5 different things at once) I can't focus on His precious word. If I can do something while I'm reading, I can grasp what I'm reading. Since that is really hard to do, (Blessing #42) I've been using Bible CDs. Alexander Scourby (Dramatized version) Holy Bible KJV is wonderful! I put it in and start cleaning. After I listen to however many chapters, I turn it off and talk to myself about what I just learned and how I can apply it to my life. (Again by talking it out while I'm cleaning or cooking - works along side with the ADD) Then I start praying for what and whom the Lord lays on my heart (also while I'm doing something with my hands).

This may not be the best choice for people without ADD, but it works for me. When my ADD is under control (my diet is healthy), I can sit and read my Father's Word. I do cherish holding my Bible in my hands and seeing it in print.

As my mother-in-law says, "There is more than one way to skin a cat."

No comments:

Post a Comment